BerryBrief

A place for thoughts on all things Berry.

Name:
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Blessings

What a year! I shudder to look at all the "year in review" pieces I see out there on the news sites. It makes me feel that not much good happened. There was an election that ended the way I thought it would and one that ended drastically differently than I thought it would and spawned the site http://www.sorryeverybody.com
There were elections that I never thought would happen, contested or not, as countries struggled to mimic the West's joke of democracy. A war raged on (many wars, but there was this one...) and I raged on, wondering why the rest of the world is being forced to conform to western civilization - like we know any better.
And what a devastating way to end the year. I am stunned by the devastation that mother earth brought. I am astonishingly lucky. That's all I thought every time I saw footage of this. There was video of a woman holding her dead child. I wanted to crush Oliv to me. I wanted to create a cavern for her from my body and just watch her and protect her. (I was living Ondaatje's Bearhug) It's terrible and all too real and there is not a lot people can do to help. Which doesn't excuse us from doing all we can.
The year end had good things in store for me too tho. Oliv is healthy and happy, as is Alan. My family is united again (there were some splits, and thanks to Santa and Christmas spirit, everyone is talking and smiling and laughing with each other).
So here is to 2005, a year sure to be filled with ups and downs, laughter and tears. My resolution - work to make it a good one. Help where and when I can and remember that a credit card debt means nothing. A new kitchen floor needed? Look up! Vic - you have a roof over your head, smarten up! I will count my blessings.
Take care,
V