BerryBrief

A place for thoughts on all things Berry.

Name:
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Monday, December 06, 2004

It's the most wonderful time of the year

Unless you count my birthday, cause that's all about me, me, me!
It began in earnest this weekend. The big IT. The holiday scramble. Friday was not so much holiday as a friend's 30th birthday shenanigans, but it still marked the beginning of the Berry rush and run around.
Olivia went to stay with Gramma B on Friday night - had a great time and much mac and cheese was consumed. On Saturday we went to pick her up and help mom B put up her tree. Good times - the tree may be my favourite part of Christmas decorating. (We put ours up that morning sans decorations, but the lights are pre-attached, which makes for less grumblies about the whole process from Al.)
Once we had the girl, we went home to give her a bath - after a quick stop to pick up her Christmas pictures from Zehrs (good deal!, but book early) and then back in the car to Al's work Kids Holiday party. Olivia was a lot braver than me on the ferris wheel. How can dogs frighten her, but a ferris wheel? No big deal. And this one's cars' shake around and stuff. I forced a grin and quietly told Al to F-O when he started rocking the car.
The Carousel - now that's a good time. Her smile was huge as the breeze blew through her wisps (let's not go all crazy and mention "hair." She just doesn't have it).
Then for an even better time, I went and kicked several kids collective asses at a skee-ball game that's a horse race (ok so it was my fifth try. And in my defense, before me some other mom was making the kids cry).
Olivia had her picture with Santa - I've named that portrait of despair "Why have you forsaken me?" No tears, but arms outstretched and an incredibly hurt look on her little face. Thank you Al's work for another noisy gift with no off button. What's with that? Seriously though, it was a good night and really nice of his work to do.
Then off to Grandparents J for the night (an awake little dancer until close to 10 p.m.) and shopping (DONE!) the next day. Lastly dinner with Great Gramma (Happy 85th, lady!) and then a thing called home.
Next weekend - I bake!
Safety and happiness in this holiday season to all.
V