BerryBrief

A place for thoughts on all things Berry.

Name:
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

It's like rain on your wedding day

I firmly believe that I am even more confused as to the definition of irony than Ms. Morissette seems to be in "Ironic."
But this may fall into the category - someone else can straighten me out on this later...
One of my new assignments at work is to research Blogs. (and here, I just started one) Huh. From answering what is a blog right up to how can it be used as an information tool, or a marketing tool, or as I read recently the newest form of media.
Wait, no, I don't believe that is ironic, just odd. Alas and alack Alanis and I still have it wrong.
I'm going to look it up...http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=irony
Irony:
a. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
b. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
c. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect.
d. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: "Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated." (Richard Kain).
In Other Words: Nothing that is remotely close to what I just said.

Moving right along (go ahead and sing it, you know you want to - muppet freaks)
There is talk about blogging being used as an effective advertising tool. I say effective because radio and television advertising is going the way of the newspaper ad Dodo. How often do you hum a jingle or reference a commercial, but have no idea exactly what the ad was for? Ineffective. Sure, it was funny, cute, sad, emotion-evoking, but the company isn't actually getting the nameshare it needs or desires.
What are we, this desensitized generation, turning to for product tips? Each other, right? Word of mouth - the marketing Mecca. Buzzzzzzzz
Enter the world of Blogs. It's pretty easy to find Blogs that give consumer advice - it's easy to find blogs that are thinly veiled corporate sites. As such, it's easy to avoid them.
And yet... blogs as a marketing tool makes a strong case, in a bass ackwards way.
Here goes. Already on my blog I've advocated a web site that I find really amusing - homestarrunner. Homestar sells loads of stuff - t-shirts, bumper stickers, hats, figurines, lots, so have I in fact advocated buying these items? OK - at no point do I say you should purchase anything there, but I avidly point you in the direction of the site. I know I am the type of person to tell you if I find good deals (note the Zehrs reference in my last post) and to let you know if a store has unappealing aspects (more on Wal-Mart another time!). Will I influence anyone? Anyone? Maybe one... and there it is.
The downfall of blogs as a marketing tool - the sites corporations most want their company mentioned on are likely personal ones - where the corporate being has no control over what a person posts, says or recommends.
Perhaps some pay for play is in order... Zehrs? Hello?