BerryBrief

A place for thoughts on all things Berry.

Name:
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Childhood Favourites

Alan has a new blog - http://ironicicons.blogspot.com/. This will be a fierce competition pitting old favourites like Strawberry Shortcake against Rainbow Brite (she didn't even smell pretty - like she has a chance) in the greatest icon-o-clash to date. If you too are a child of the 70s or 80s, and still have a special place in your heart for Jem or the Thundercats, you may want to check it out.
It's such a funny thing, the way TV ties in to my childhood memories. I will forever think of going through the polka dot door and readying myself for Animal Day or Imagination Day. I remember really not liking the educational filmed bits through the dots when young, but finding them interesting as I got a bit older (still not as much fun as singing and dancing). My brother was a huge Today's Special fan and got a really big kick out of Sam the mailman...
I loved Jeremy Bear and Barbapoppa - I look back on those shows and characters with such fondness and am one of many of my peers who say that nothing on TV today compares. So this blog of Al's looks to be right up my alley and talk about a reason to procrastinate!
What will our children remember and how will it tie to media. What will today's TV and other influences give them? Al jokes that this generation is going to have trouble reaching any goal that requires more than three steps - thank you Dora. :)
Olivia is now starting to sing along with Franklin's theme song and ignores us for the TV - I find this horrible, and wonder how my own parents dealt with my fascination with television - a love affair that continues to this very day...
Take care,
V