BerryBrief

A place for thoughts on all things Berry.

Name:
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Friday, March 11, 2005

Sweep Sweep! Hurry!

I think it's about time I jotted something down about my (mis) adventure in curling. Al's family loves themselves some curling. I'm not sure I had ever watched it before I met him, but I really like to watch it now too - although not for hours at a time.
Well, what's better than watching? Doing! Right?
Work offered an afternoon of curling fun. Lessons for an hour and then playing for an hour. I was very excited. Of course, in Vic fantasy land, this was going to be it. I was finally going to be naturally good at a sport. Basically, I'd be ready to play on a team at the end of two hours. Olympics here I come. Yeah...right.
Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a klutz. Not a dainty, oops smacked my elbow and knocked over a glass of juice klutz, but a fall-on-my-ass, bruised for months klutz. So it won't shock anyone to hear that I fell. I mean, I face-planted on the ice, taking out a coworker with me. I was sweeping my heart out - I had done really well at sweeping on my first try, so of course, that was it, I was going to be a star sweeper - knock everyone off their socks with my sweeping prowess. Then my feet got all confused and the broom shot out and up away from me and I hit the ice. Knees - wham! Then a fall forward. Chest - wham!
Ahhh, it hurt, but I had to laugh, because I could only imagine how funny it looked (like some five year-old sprawled on the ice after a wipe out at hockey practice - funny stuff if you ever get the chance to watch!), and I would have been in tears, laughing so hard, if it had been someone else.
Next, my throwing skills. The only time I threw a good rock was when I stopped thinking about form and weight and angles and curls and just let it go. So basically, a fluke. Other than that not one rock that I threw made it into play - they didn't make it past the play line. However, by my last throw I was no longer completely falling on my ass each time I let go of the rock.
Even after all of this, it was fun. And it was an all right workout, because the next day my shoulders and arms were feeling it.
And I would gladly do it again... As soon as the bruises heal. The knee ones that is. The ego bruise is just a minor yellow tinge, well on the road to wellness.
Take care, and keep your broom on the ice!
V