BerryBrief

A place for thoughts on all things Berry.

Name:
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Friday, May 13, 2005

A house divided

Trouble is a-brewin' in the Canadian House of Commons. Prime Minister Paul Martin and his liberals have formed a shaky minority government and an even shakier alliance with the New Democrats. The Conservatives and Bloc Quebecois have bonded in an effort to dissolve government and force an election. And it has worked - almost.
Next Thursday all members of Parliament will have the opportunity to participate in two votes of confidence (contained in the latest budget). If either of these votes fail, an election will be called.
So, where do we go from here?
Last June, Canadians visited the polls and a year later, it looks like we will be doing it again. And in the same vein as last year, it will be up to us, the masses, the choose the lesser of four evils.
What will the campaign issues be? (my thoughts)
Clarity into government spending
Military spending and troop deployment
Healthcare and education (as always) - two tier? or not two tier? (tee hee)
Same Sex Marriage
Possibly decriminalizing marijuana
I would like to volunteer for my candidate, but she doesn't share my view on same sex marriage - and this is a biggie for me. I actually believe in equality for all. And so, if I can marry the adult human I love (like that? you dig?), so should you, or anyone, have that ability, right, privilege.
- It's hard enough to find a true, honest, healthy love nowadays, why not let everyone shout it from the rooftops in whatever way they see fit?
I am horrified to think that an election could result in our nation taking on any more of the right-wing policies of our neighbours to the south.
Hopefully, and if people are interested in this topic, I will continue on this as thoughts occur.
Take care,
V