BerryBrief

A place for thoughts on all things Berry.

Name:
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Monday, August 15, 2005

I am a big suck head!

Well - we did the camping thang this weekend. When we woke up on Friday morning, the rain was streaming down in Guelph. Alan and I then discussed whether or not to go camping at all. Frankly, we are not camping folks, but we REALLY wanted to see our friends. After a couple of calls to Mar (sorry for the early wake up darlin!) and Paula, as well as a couple of emails to Jon and finally calling Len, who was at the camp site and assured us it was not raining, we got in the car. The plan was that we would pack the car as if we were going to camp, but if we got there and it was raining, we would not set up camp and just stay until later into the night and drive back home.
We ended up in Rondeau at about 1:30 p.m. and the weather was hot and humid, but no rain! Up goes the tent, off Vic goes to buy the groceries. As I am in town running around getting groceries (and towels - whoops!), the sky opened up. The rain poured down - and I had to run through it, across the street, because I forgot my purse in the car, and could not pay for the afore-mentioned towels!
Get back to camp - and they have only had a sprinkling, so I warn them that there may be a bit of rain coming. And come it did. Mar and I were trying to monitor the kids while holding the dining tent in place as it lifted off the ground and the poles pulled up.
Jay and Jenn came over to say hi and told us that they had unfortunately put their tent on a low spot, and were slightly worried about that. But I never heard that they had any leaks.
I did tho - have a leak. Right into the middle of our bed, but Al caught it early and when the rain stopped we cleared out the tent and hung everything up to dry.
Come bedtime for Olivia, we learned that she is not really good about tent sleeping, this despite the two weeks of preparation - talking about sleeping outside in the tent and having her sleep on her blow up Dora bed. So she slept with mommy and daddy in the big bed till about 3 a.m., at which point I was finally able to make the transition.
Saturday the day dawned really nicely. We had some beach time, some play time. Oliv was having a great time - other than bed times, she was a great camper!
Oliv did not see the need to nap - well not in the tent. Paula finally came to take her away (by this time, I had told Al that I thought it would be best if we went home after dinner - I was feeling so sick and gross that I wanted my bed really badly), and Oliv went down like a ton of bricks in the Damen's camper.
We struck our camping abode - just in time for some more rain (we were really lucky on timing), had dinner and took a quick stroll for ice cream. We left at about 9:30 and got home before midnight, in bed by 1 a.m.
Alan said to me on Sunday morning that he was sad not to see everyone for breakfast, and I agreed, but also said that I liked the idea of still having the Sunday to get ourselves prepared for the week. So maybe early Friday to Saturday night is the way for us to go - oh, and borrowing a trailer, or leaving Oliv with a grandparent or two!
So we are not stellar campers, but it was really good to see everyone again. Maybe next year we'll get the chance to have some longer conversations!
take care
lv
p.s - really strained to ignore the dish rack order last night and managed to have the smaller plates spread out very randomly!